Thursday 26 April 2012

The big 980 mile bike ride in 9 days


Hello I'm Stephen and I am raising money for three great charity's that needs everyone help to keep up with there great work I am cycling over 900miles from John O Groats to Land End on a tandem with my good old Uncle Johnny boy as my tandem driver and we aim to do it in 9 days start to finish on the 10th June 2013

Reason Why???
I am deaf and blind! Born Deaf started to go blind at 17. for years now I'm been vegetating away in depress, anger and pretty much self pity. At points but I guest when my daughter Evie was born it hit me I don't want my daughter to grow up seeing her father a FAILURE (strong words I know) as I never grew up that way! I was born into a motivating family who all grafted all there lives and still do! so for me to be diagnose as usher syndrome (deaf ad blindness links to one ) at the age of 16 was a big blow! It hit me hard as that time went I had no choice but give up things I love Rugby, Boxing, Cycling, Break Dancing and most of all my marketing job I gave up! Its only now that I realise that I didn't have to give up any of that at all!

Thanks to Bradbury field, The Christopher Grange Rehab For The Blind and Guide Dogs. without these three charity's I'd still be in that deep depressive dark hole screaming to get out. With huge thanks to my wife got who got in touch with Bradbury field who then got in touch with me with there friendly and determined to help staff with them they got me into the Grange Rehab For The Blind. It was there that's I got my motivation and reason for getting up of a morning and trying to be a better husband and father for my three girls. 

They got me cooking again, They got me using the computers and given me the right software to make my life easier by using the computer, They got me into living skills to make everyday life easier by all types of gadgets to help make a brue to finding out what colours my clothes are! Plus they can give you independent back with there mobility skills to get you back out and about although I don't go many place's with out company there and I'm still learning Braille but with out this! Life would still be a bit harder its the learning Braille made me realise that one day when I wont be able to use the computer for the Internet or work or emails as easy and that will all be fix with the Braille computer so there's nothing i shouldn't be able to do with the right training and equipment to get by or get back into work.

Guide Dog then got into action with me by assessing me and putting me on a waiting list to match me up with a perfects pal as I do find the long Cain slows me down and I should give everything a try to find out witch is best for me. One of the main reasons is why i wanted to help Guide dogs as well is that they put so much time and effort to train all these different types of dogs to suit every different needs and to me that a lot of Patience from the staff at guide dogs.

Bradbury field also helps with getting to volunteer to gain experience into work also having tandem bike ride and many more in help and support in that you need. Also with Bradbury field they put you in touch with everyone who will and can help you they have linked with Action for Blind, RNIB, Guide Dogs and many more With out these three groups that have played an importance part in my life I don't know if I would be the man I am today!

This is why I got my uncle to team up with me and be my tandem rider and cycle over 900miles from John O groats to Lands End and help raise money for these three charity's so they can get more equipment and facility's to help everyone like me to get back in action and changing there disadvantage situation to an advantage success.

No comments:

Post a Comment